Amoxilan® belongs to the group of broad-spectrum antibiotics and contains amoxicillin as the active substance, which has a rapid, germ-killing effect on many different pathogens.
Amoxilan® is indicated for the treatment of the following bacterial infections caused by amoxicillin-sensitive, gram-positive or gram-negative germs:
- Upper respiratory tract infections, including ear, nose and throat infections such as otitis media, inflammation of the sinuses, pharynx, larynx and tonsils caused by certain bacteria (group A beta-haemolytic streptococci detected).
- Infections of the lower respiratory tract: acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, pneumonia.
- Infections of the kidneys and urinary tract: uncomplicated cystitis, pyelonephritis.
- Infections of the genital organs.
- Gastrointestinal tract infections: confirmed Helicobacter pylori infections in the form of triple therapy, typhoid fever (including sanitation of permanent excretors, whenever fluoroquinolones are not applicable), bacterial enteritis (when antimicrobial therapy is indicated, e.g. in immunocompromised patients). Combination therapy may be necessary in the treatment of infections caused by anaerobic pathogens.
- Infections of the skin and soft tissues: Boils, carbuncles, phlegmon, wound infections.
- Severe infections such as sepsis, osteomyelitis, meningitis. For the treatment of these infections, therapy should first be initiated by parenteral administration.
- Treatment of the early, local stage of Lyme disease with erythema migrans (stage 1).
- Endocarditis: Endocarditis prophylaxis in patients at risk, e.g. during dental procedures.
Official guidelines on antibiotic therapy (such as national recommendations) should be taken into account when choosing the appropriate antibiotic.