Famosin® contains the active substance famotidine, which prevents the action of the body’s own histamine on the stomach lining (H2 receptor antagonist).
Famosin® 20 and 40 mg are used:
- in duodenal ulcers.
- for benign stomach ulcers.
- to prevent the recurrence of duodenal ulcers.
- in conditions of excessive acidity, such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
- for the prevention and treatment of stress-related ulcers, as a supportive measure in bleeding from mucosal lesions of the upper gastrointestinal tract.
- for inflammation of the oesophagus due to reflux of gastric juice (reflux oesophagitis).
- for the treatment of heartburn (acid regurgitation).
Famosin® 40 mg is also used:
- for joint treatment, e.g. with antibiotics, of infections with so-called Helicobacter bacteria.
- for stomach and duodenal ulcers in connection with treatment with certain rheumatism medicines (so-called NSAIDs).